- Takes a logical, step-by-step approach to preparing for learning on a mental health placement
- Introduces the principles of care, support and treatment of an individual with mental health problems, linking university-learned theory to practice
- Uses narratives from other students to describe what the placement will really be like
- Highlights potential learning opportunities and experiences available on a mental health placement
- Explains how to develop your clinical portfolio by completing specific exercises and activities
- Maps all activities and exercises to the NMC competencies
- Discusses the possible challenges that may arise during a mental health placement and advises on approaches to a range of situations
- Keeps the aim of recovery as a central philosophy in line with contemporary thinking in mental health care.
- A unique guide to getting the most from clinical placements
- How to prepare for your placement
- What you can expect to learn during a placement
- Clear links to, and examples of, achieving NMC competencies
- Guidance on what to use as evidence for your portfolio
- Case studies that link theory with practice
- How to consolidate your experience and learn from the placement
- Tips, activities, further reading suggestions and useful websites.