- Covers recent research findings that point the way to improvements in supervision by police managers.
- Revision author Egan Green brings the insights of a new generation to this book.
- Appendices contain sample police department forms and documents.
The Police Manager gives practical, field-tested guidance to students and professionals who aspire to leadership roles in law enforcement, providing a comprehensive explanation of issues and challenges that they will face as police supervisors. The book is divided into four parts, covering historical and philosophical underpinnings, behavioral aspects of police management, functional aspects of police management, and major issues in modern police work.
The Police Manager, 7th Edition
Part One: Introduction to Police Management
1. A History and Philosophy of Police Management
2. Philosophy to Outcomes
3. Organizational Culture
Part Two: Behavioral Aspects of Police Management
4. Leadership Behavior Styles
5. Creating a Breed of Super Sergeants
6. Succession Planning
7. Organizational Environment
8. Transactional Analysis
9. Understanding Personnel Through MBTI®
Part Three: Functional Aspects of Police Management
10. Management Planning
11. Problem Identification and Decisionmaking
12. Management by Objectives
13. Fiscal Management
Part Four: Modern Police Management: Major Issues
14. Use of Power
15. The Use of Force
16. Civil Liability and Accreditation
17. Ethics for the 21st Century
18. The School Resource Officer Program: Establishing a Police Presence in Schools
19. Assessment Center Process
20. Leading Small and Medium-Size Law Enforcement Agencies