* One of the best known and most trusted sources of reference since its first publication more than 50 years ago
* The only single volume containing all the data needed by researchers and professional metallurgists
* Fully updated to the latest revisions of international standards
Smithells is the only single volume work which provides data on all key apsects of metallic materials.
Smithells has been in continuous publication for over 50 years. This 8th Edition represents a major revision.
Four new chapters have been added for this edition. these focus on;
* Non conventional and emerging materials - metallic foams, amorphous metals (including bulk metallic glasses), structural intermetallic compounds and micr/nano-scale materials.
* Techniques for the modelling and simulation of metallic materials.
* Supporting technologies for the processing of metals and alloys.
* An Extensive bibliography of selected sources of further metallurgical information, including books, journals, conference series, professional societies, metallurgical databases and specialist search tools.
Metallurgists and materials researchers in universities, government, and industry. University faculty, students, and libraries.
Smithells Metals Reference Book, 8th Edition
General physical and chemical constants; X-ray analysis of metallic material; Crystallography; Crystal chemistry; Metallurgically important minerals; Thermochemical data; Physical properties of molton salts; Metallography; Equilibrium diagrams; Gas-metal systems; Diffusion in metals; General physical properties; Elastic properties, damping capacity and shape memory alloys; Temperature measurement and thermoelectric properties; Radiating properties of metals; Electron emission; Electrical properties; Magnetic materials and their properties; Mechanical testing; Mechanical properties of metals and alloys; Sintered materials; Lubricants; Friction and wear; Casting alloys and foundry data; Engineering ceramics and refractory materials; Fuels; Heat treatment; Metal cutting and forming;Corrosion; Electroplating and metal finishing; Welding; Soldering and brazing; Vapour deposited coatings and thermal spraying; Superplasticity; Metal-matrix composites; Non-conventional and emerging metallic minerals; modelling and simulation; supporting technologies for the processing of metals and alloys.
Quotes and reviews
Reviews of previous editions:
"A publication of no equal that has become an essential reference during its 35 years of publication." ASLIB Book List
"All metallurgists will covet a copy of Smithells." Chemistry and Industry
"(It) provides an invaluable reference source for all workers, libraries and research laboratories in the field of engineering and metallurgy." BNF Abstract
“This 8th edition of this classic reference book is still an indispensable resource for metallurgists and engineers. With the previous edition over 10 years old, this new edition has had every chapter revised and updated to reflect the latest advances in materials...There are many ways in which this reference book might be useful - identifying new materials, determining material properties, learning about a process technique. However it is used, metallurgists and engineers in industry or academia, whose work involves metals and metal processes, will find this book an invaluable, must-have reference." - IEEE Electrical Insulation Magazine, 2005