* Covers a wide range of subjects and industrial applications
* Provides an understanding of current issues for industrial and academic environments
* Allows the reader an understanding of the science behind engineered granulation processes
Granulation provides a complete and comprehensive introduction on the state-of-the-art of granulation and how it can be applied both in an academic context and from an industrial perspective. Coupling science and engineering practices it covers differing length scales from the sub-granule level through behaviour through single granules, to bulk granule behaviour and equipment design. With special focus on a wide range of industrially relevant areas from fertilizer production, through to pharmaceuticals. Experimental data is complemented by mathematical modelling in this emerging field, allowing for a greater understanding of the basis of particle products and this important industry sector.
Four themes run through the book:
1. The Macro Scale processing for Granulation - including up to date descriptions of the methods used for granulation and how they come about and how to monitor - on-line these changes.
2. The Applications of granulation from an industrial perspective, with current descriptive roles and how they are undertaken with relevance to industry, and effective properties.
3. Mechanistic descriptions of granulation and the different rate processes occurring within the granulator. This includes methods of modelling the process using Population - Balance Equations, and Multi-level Computational Fluid Dynamics Models.
4. The Micro Scale: Granules and Smaller, looking at single granules and there interactions and modelling, while also considering the structure of granules and their constituent liquid bridges.
chemical engineers, material scientists, physical chemists
Granulation, 1st Edition
The Macro Scale I: Processing for Granulation
1. High Shear Granulation (G.K. Reynolds et al
2. Fluidized Bed Spray Granulation (L. Morl et al
3. Extrusion-Spheronisation (D.I. Wilson, S.L. Rough).
4. Drum Granulation Processes (G.M. Walker).
5. Roll Pressing (P. Guigon et al
6. Dry Granulation (Kazuo Nishii, Masayuki Horio).
7. Coating and Encapsulation Processes in Powder Technology (Khashayar Saleh, P. Guigon).
8. Modelling of Pan-Coating Processes for Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms (Preetanshu Pandey et al
9. Granulation Equipment (M. Jacob).
10. Online Monitoring (Satoru Watano).
11. Process Systems Engineering Applied to Granulation (I.T. Cameron, F.Y. Wang).The Macro Scale II: Applications
12. Agglomeration of Enzymes, Micro-organisms and Flavours (G.M.H. Meesters).
13. Agglomeration of Dehydrated Consumer Foods (S. Palzer).
14. Detergent Granulation (R. Boerefijn et al
15. Granulation Process Control - Production of Pharmaceutical Granules: The Classical Batch Concept and the Problem of Scale-Up (H. Leuenberger, G. Betz).
16. Tabletting (K. Pitt, Csaba Sinka).
17. Direct Pelletization of Pharmaceutical Pellets in Fluid-Bed Processes (P. Kleinebudde, K. Knop).The Meso Scale: Mechanistic Description
18. Shear-Induced Dispersion of Particle Agglomerates (D.L. Feke).
19. Scale-Up of High-Shear Binder-Agglomeration Processes (P. Mort).
20. Granulation Rate Processes (K.P. Hapgood et al
21. Breakage in Granulation (A.D. Salman et al
22. Fluidisation of Cohesive Particles (J.P.K. Seville).
23. Multi-Level Computational Fluid Dynamics Models for the Description of Particle Mixing and Granulation in Fluidized Beds (M. van Sint Annaland et al
24. Population Balance Modelling of Granulation
(T. Abberger).The Micro Scale: Granules and Smaller
25. Granule Structure (D. Barrera-Medrano et al
26. Morphology and Strength Development in Solid and Solidifying Interparticle Bridges in Granules of Pharmaceutical Powders (G.I. Tardos et al
27. Liquid Bridges in Granules (S.J.R. Simons).
28. Pendular Capillary Bridges (C.D. Willett et al
29. Sub-Granule Scale Modelling (F. Štěpánek).