@bul:* Provides the fundamentals of magnetic information storage and contrasts it with a comparison of alternative storage technologies
* Addresses the subject at the materials, device and system levels
* Addresses the needs of the multi-billion-dollar-a year magnetic recording and information storage industry
* Emphasizes both theoretical and experimental concepts
* Condenses current knowledge on magnetic information storage technology into one self-contained volume
* Suitable for undergraduate and graduate students, as well as seasoned researchers, engineers and professionals in data and information storage fields
This text explains how hard disk drives operate, how billions of bytes of digital information are stored and accessed, and where the technology is going. In particular, the book emphasizes the most fundamental principles of magnetic information storage, including in-depth knowledge of both magnetics and signal processing methods. Magnetic Information Storage Technology contains many graphic illustrations and an introduction of alternative storage technologies, such as optic disk recording, holographic recording, semiconductor flash memory, and magnetic random access memory.
Graduate and upper-level undergraduate students, researchers in the storage industry, entry-level engineers, and professionals interested in information storage.