*Covers the broad range of exposure therapies in one comprehensive source
*Provides an integrated look at exposure therapy across a variety of disorders
*Each such chapter will include a case study
*Blends literature review and practice guidelines
Exposure Therapy refers to any clinical intervention in which a client directly confronts a source of fear. Since high levels of anxiety can not be maintained indefinitely, repeated exposure leads to decreased anxiety. This type of treatment is effective with phobias, post traumatic stress disorder, obsessive compulsive disorders, panic, generalized anxiety, and several other disorders. It's also been found to be effective in helping to treat substance abuse. Although exposure-based treatments have been extensively researched and reported in the literature, there is no single comprehensive treatment of exposure therapies. Writings tend to be limited to larger pieces on treating specific disorders or types of patients. A comprehensive book on the use of these treatments across patient disorders will be of great use to practitioners.
The book is divided into three sections: Foundation, Applications, and Issues. Foundation chapters considers theoretical and assessment issues. Applications chapters will discuss research literature on each disorder having been proven to be successfully treated with exposure therapy. Issue chapters will discuss liability issues, false memory syndrome, and the use of computers and virtual reality in exposure therapy.
Clinical and counseling psychologists. APA divisions 12,17,29,42,43,49 (27,000 members).
Handbook of Exposure Therapies, 1st Edition
1. Description, Mechanisms of Action, and AssessmentDavid C.S. Richard, Dean Lauterbach, and Andrew T. Gloster
2. Animal Models of Exposure Therapy: A Selective ReviewJames T. Todd and Janet L. Pietrowski
3. Exposure Therapy and Cognitive Interventions for the Anxiety Disorders: Overview and Newer Third-Generation PerspectivesJohn P. Forsyth, Velma Barrios, and Dean T. Acheson
4. Translational Research Perspectives on Maximizing the Effectiveness of Exposure TherapyMark B. Powers, Jasper A. J. Smits, Teresa M. Leyro, and Michael W. Otto
5. Exposure Therapy and Post-Traumatic Stress DisorderDean Lauterbach and Sarah Reiland
6. Exposure Therapy with Adult Survivors of Childhood Sexual AbuseFrank Castro and Brian P. Marx
7. Issues in Conducting Exposure Therapy to Treat Combat Veterans' PTSDCarlos G. Finlay and Judith A. Lyons
8. Exposure Therapy for Obsessive-Compulsive DisorderJonathan S. Abramowitz and Karin E. Larsen
9. Cognitive-Behavior Therapy and the Treatment of Childhood Obsessive-Compulsive DisorderSandra Mendlowitz
10. Exposure Treatments for Panic Disorder with and without AgoraphobiaEllen I. Koch, Andrew T. Gloster, and Stacey A. Waller
11. Exposure Therapy for PhobiasMichiyo Hirai, Laura L. Vernon, and Heather Cochran
12. Applications of Exposure Techniques in Behavioral MedicineFlora Hoodin and Mary Gillis
13. Exposure Therapy for HypochondriasisJoseph A. Himle and Jody Hoffman
14. The Effect of Pharmacotherapy on the Effectiveness of Exposure TherapyBrett Deacon
15. Pharmacological Enhancement of Learning in Exposure TherapyKerry J. Ressler, Michael Davis, and Barbara O. Rothbaum
16. Virtual Reality Applications for ExposureStephane Bouchard, Sophie Cote, and David C. S. Richard
17. Obstacles to Successful Implementation of Exposure TherapyElizabeth A. Hembree and Shawn P. Cahill
18. Exposure Therapy Has a Public Relations Problem: A Dearth of Litigation Amid a Wealth of ConcernDavid C.S. Richard and Andrew T. Gloster
Quotes and reviews
"The authors have succeeded admirably in producing a book that covers exposure therapy from its humble beginnings in behaviorism to its widespread use in anxiety disorders to its forward-thinking future in virtual reality. This book should be a powerful awakening for clinicians who have thus far neglected exposure therapy, but still leaves plenty of stimulating material for more seasoned therapists seeking to expand their use of exposure therapy."
- Doody Enterprises, Inc.