- Basic concepts of optimality conditions and numerical methods are described with simple and practical examples, making the material highly teachable and learnable
- Includes applications of optimization methods for structural, mechanical, aerospace, and industrial engineering problems
- Introduction to MATLAB Optimization Toolbox
- Practical design examples introduce students to the use of optimization methods early in the book
- New example problems throughout the text are enhanced with detailed illustrations
- Optimum design with Excel Solver has been expanded into a full chapter
- New chapter on several advanced optimum design topics serves the needs of instructors who teach more advanced courses
Introduction to Optimum Design 3e describes an organized approach to engineering design optimization in a rigorous yet simplified manner. It illustrates various concepts and procedures with simple examples and demonstrates their applicability to engineering design problems. Formulation of a design problem as an optimization problem is emphasized and illustrated throughout the text. Excel and MATLAB® are featured as learning and teaching aids.
Upper level undergraduate and graduate engineering students and practitioners studying optimization and engineering design.