* More than 20% NEW MATERIAL includes articles on Climate Change, Pacific White-sided Dolphins, Sociobiology, Habitat Use, Feeding Morphology and more
* Over 260 articles on the individual species with topics ranging from anatomy and behavior, to conservation, exploitation and the impact of global climate change on marine mammals
* New color illustrations show every species and document topical articles
FROM THE FIRST EDITION
“This book is so good...a bargain, full of riches...packed with fascinating up to date information. I recommend it unreservedly it to individuals, students, and researchers, as well as libraries".
- Richard M. Laws, MARINE MAMMALS SCIENCE
"...establishes a solid and satisfying foundation for current study and future exploration"
- Ronald J. Shusterman, SCIENCE
This thorough revision of the classic first edition brings this authoritative book right up-to-date. Articles describe every species in detail, based on the very latest taxonomy, and a host of biological, ecological and sociological aspects relating to marine mammals. The latest information on the biology, ecology, anatomy, behavior and interactions with man is provided by a cast of expert authors - all presented in such detail and clarity to support both marine mammal specialists and the serious naturalist. Fully referenced throughout and with a fresh selection of the best color photographs available, the long-awaited 2e remains at the forefront as the go-to reference on marine mammals.
Marine Biologists, Ecologists, Conservation Biologists, Fisheries Biologists and Environmental consultants.