@introbul:Topics covered include
@bul:* Therapy with Vitamin D metabolites, sodium fluoride, thiazides, and isoflavones
* Biochemical markers of bone turnover
* Calcium, Vitamin D, and bone metabolism
* Estrogens and tissue selective estrogens for prevention and treatment of osteoporosis
* The effects of osteoporosis on orthopaedic surgery
* The therapy of glucocorticoid bone disease
* Effects of aging on bone structure and metabolism
* Management of osteoporotic patients in our health care delivery system
* The genetics of osteoporosis
* Bisphosphonate therapy for osteoporosis
* Bone mass measurement techniques in clinical practice
* Osteoporosis and the bone biopsy
Metabolic bone degeneration (osteoporosis) affects millions of people--primarily postmenopausal women--and is directly responsible for debilitating hip, vertebral, and limb fractures in the elderly. Incorporating advances made within just the past five years, The Osteoporotic Syndrome: Detection, Prevention, and Treatment serves as an up-to-date, practical guide to the major clinical aspects of osteoporosis. The text is liberally illustrated with detailed figures.
As a resource for the clinician dealing with metabolic bone degeneration, this book represents an excellent source of information on the diagnosis and day-to-day management of osteoporosis.
Professionals and academic clinicians in endocrinology, bone and mineral metabolism, and osteoporosis.