· This is a more accessible version of Arfken and Weber's blockbuster reference, Mathematical Methods for Physicists, 5th Edition
· Many more detailed, worked-out examples illustrate how to use and apply mathematical techniques to solve physics problems
· More frequent and thorough explanations help readers understand, recall, and apply the theory
· New introductions and review material provide context and extra support for key ideas
· Many more routine problems reinforce basic concepts and computations
This new adaptation of Arfken and Weber's bestselling Mathematical Methods for Physicists, Fifth Edition, is the most comprehensive, modern, and accessible text for using mathematics to solve physics problems. Additional explanations and examples make it student-friendly and more adaptable to a course syllabus.
Juniors and Seniors in Physics, Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Chemistry and Environmental Sciences; also practitioners and researchers in these fields.
Essential Mathematical Methods for Physicists, 1st Edition
1. Vector Analysis
2. Vector Analysis in Curved Coordinated and Tensors
3. Determinants and Matrices
4. Group Theory
5. Infinite Series
6. Functions of a Complex Variable I
7. Functions of a Complex Variable II
8. Differential Equations
9. Sturm-Liouville Theory - Orthogonal Functions
10. The Gamma Function (Factorial Function)
11. Legendre Polynomials
12. Bessell Functions
13. Hermite and Laguerre Polynomials
14. Fourier Series
15. Integral Transforms
16. Partial Differential Equations
18. Calculus of Variations
19. Non-Linear Methods and Chaos
Quotes and reviews
"True to the title, this new text achieves a comprehensive coverage of the 'essential' topics in mathematical physics at the undergraduate level. This new version is filled with enlightening examples, which is the key to undergraduate teaching. More importantly, many examples are real problems from various fields of physics."
- David Hwang, University of California at Davis
"The book contains many worked out problems some of which are solved in more than one way to accommodate different learning needs and styles of different students. Particularly, the chapters on vector analysis, determinant and matrices, Fourier series, and probability are extremely well written and will be an instant success with the students."
- Amit Chakrabati, Kansas State University